Use these paired passages with a highly engaging writing prompt to keep students engaged during your dreaded writing block! Students will read the two sources about social media and the writing prompt, plan out their essay, and write a four- or five-paragraph essay about their opinion on the topic.
This Paired Passages Opinion Writing Prompt Includes:
- Text Source #1
- Text Source #2
- Writing Prompt: Should Students Be Allowed to Use Social Media at School?
- Planning Sheets
- Writing Paper
Spark a love of writing with this high-interest writing prompt. A great way to meet multiple standards with one activity.
- Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information. -CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.5.1
- Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text. -CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.1
- Integrate information from several texts on the same topic in order to write or speak about the subject knowledgeably. -CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.5.9
Ideas for Use:
- Individual Writing Practice
- Whole Group Instruction
- Partner Practice
- Substitute Plans
- Send Home as Practice
- ELA Work Stations or Centers
I am the author of each text, I just used different author names so students could practice citing different names.
*This was designed to be perfect practice for state writing tests! Directly aligned with Florida’s FSA format, but probably similar to your state, too!
Be sure to check out these resources you and your students are sure to love!
Get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Go to your My Purchases page (log in first). Click on the Provide Feedback button to leave a rating and a short comment. You’ll earn TPT credits, which you can redeem on future purchases!
Having difficulty with a file?
Copyright © Chloe Campbell
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.