Help your 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students understand the changing states of matter with these engaging, hands-on physical and chemical changes activities and experiments. These changes in matter activities will excite your students and help them to gain a deeper understanding of physical and chemical changes in matter.
This 17 page resource includes foldable notes, a real life application activity, a recording sheet for a changes in matter investigation, 8 physical and chemical changes in matter activities with recording sheets, changes in matter mind maps, 2 options of exit slips, a standards mastery checklist, and answer keys. You won’t need any other resource to teach your students about physical and chemical changes in matter.
Wondering what materials will be needed for this matter lesson? All materials are common household items and can probably be found around your house or classroom. This is to make life even easier on you! View the Preview to see exactly what is included in this Changes in Matter resource.
Click here to see this source in action!
⭐⭐ This resource can also be found in the ! Save 50% when purchasing the Bundle! ⭐⭐
Changes in Matter Physical and Chemical Changes Activities Includes:
- Teacher Directions Page
- List of Materials Needed
- Foldable Notes: Chemical and Physical Changes
- Changes in Matter: Real Life Application
- Changes in Matter: Explore Investigation
- 8 Changes in Matter Investigations Cards & Recording Sheet
- Exit Slips: 2 options
- Mastery Checklist
- Answer Keys
Changes in Matter Investigations included:
- Burning a Candle (teacher demonstration)
- Sugar in Water
- Tear Paper
- Melting Ice
- Alka-Seltzer Tablets
- Cut an Apple
- Vinegar and Baking Soda
- Fold Paper
Click here to purchase the download on TeachersPayTeachers.
Physical and Chemical Changes in Matter Standards Covered:
- NGSS MS-PS1-2: Analyze and interpret data on the properties of substances before and after the substances interact to determine if a chemical reaction has occurred
- Florida Standard: SC.5.P.9.1 Investigate and describe that many physical and chemical changes are affected by temperature.
- Texas Standard: SCI.5.5.C The student knows that matter has measurable physical properties and those properties determine how matter is classified, changed, and used. The student is expected to identify changes that can occur in the physical properties of the ingredients of solutions such as dissolving salt in water or adding lemon juice to water.
More Fun and Engaging Science Activities:
Let’s Stay Connected!
⭐ to be notified of new products and sales
⭐ Visit the for teaching tips and ideas
⭐ Check out
Earn Free TpT Credits!
Leave feedback on your purchases to earn free TpT Credits that can be used on future purchases. Just visit My Purchases and click on Provide Feedback to leave review and earn TpT credits.
There are no reviews yet.