Unlock the stories of some of the most influential African Americans in history with this Black History Month biographies and yearbook activity. This comprehensive resource is designed to educate and inspire young learners as they discover the stories of famous African Americans who have made a lasting impact on our world.
Students will read the biographies, answer comprehension questions, then create a yearbook style activity on the famous African Americans.
These articles can be used all year long or as a Black History Month activity.
Black History Month Reading Passages / Famous African American Biographies includes:
- 31 non-fiction biographies about famous African Americans
- Each passage comes in color or black & white options
- Summary page for each biography
Famous African Americans Included:
• Tuskegee Airman
• Thurgood Marshall
• Wilma Rudolph
• Sojourner Truth
• Sarah E. Goode
• Rosa Parks
• Ruby Bridges
• Phillis Wheatley
• Marian Anderson
• Michael Jackson
• Martin Luther King, Jr.
• Michael Jordan
• Marcus Garvey
• Jackie Robinson
• Langston Hughes
• Jesse Owens
• Harriet Tubman
• George W. Carver
• Frederick Douglas
• Edna Lewis
• Booker T. Washington
• Billie Holiday
• Bessie Coleman
• Bill Pickett
• Benjamin Banneker
• Hank Aaron
• Matt Kemp
• Ozzie Smith
• Halle Berry
• Barack Obama
• Will Smith
What’s the best way to use this resource?
- Study one African American every day for 31 days.
- Display the articles around your classroom/down the hall. Have students rotate around the room/move through the hallways to read about each African American. Students will then add notes/summaries to their yearbook style activity cards.
- Use daily/weekly in reading or social studies centers for the month of February.
- Read about one African American every week/month for the entire school year.
- Allow students to pick 2-3 people to study. Have them share with classmates what they learned about each person.
- Use this activity in a different way? I would love to hear about it!
Teachers Like You Say This:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ In person and remote students accessed this information from Google Classroom. If I skipped anyone, they complained and wanted to go back to read about them. We extended often by researching the person together to see pictures and get more information. I believe this resource gave my students some real insight into these important people and their own potential. I love this resource!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ My students had a great time learning about some famous African Americans…many of which they have never heard of.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Great resource for black history month. My students enjoyed learning about exceptional people. Easy to use.
Looking for more engaging social studies resources?
Fun and Engaging Reading resources:
Go to your My Purchases page (log in first). Click on the Provide Feedback button to leave a rating and a short comment. You’ll earn TPT credits, which you can redeem on future purchases!
Having difficulty with a file?
Copyright © Chloe Campbell
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.