Students will enjoy practicing addition within 20 while playing math games! This addition math center is low prep and loved by both students AND teachers. You’ll print, add a dice or spinner with game pieces and use right away in your 1st or 2nd grade math classroom. During this game, students will write equations to show what two numbers add to equal the sum. Students will practice showing that even sums have the same addends. Example: 10 = 5 + 5 or 6 = 3 + 3
This is a printer friendly, low prep resource that will allow your students to review addition within 20 while playing a highly engaging math board game.
Click here to see this source in action!
What does this math resource include?
- Directions Page
- Board Game
- 41 Math Questions
- Student Recording Sheet (Multiple Options)
- Teacher Answer Key
What’s the best way to use this board game?
- Math Centers or Stations
- Whole Group Practice
- Morning Work
- Early Finisher Activities
- Send home to engage students’ families
Tips for Playing this Math Game:
- Read the directions to the students and model how to play.
- Be prepared with dice/spinner and game pieces for each player (paperclips, pencil top erasers, pieces from another game, etc.)
- Every student should solve every problem – not just the person who rolls.
- Create groups of 2-4 students. The lower number of students means the more focused students are while playing.
- Remind students that the focus is not playing the game but that’s just an added bonus! The focus should be on practicing math skills.
- Show students how to compare and discuss answers. Did you both get the same answer? If students get different answers, ask them to solve the problem using a different strategy or help coach each other through the problem.
Click here to purchase the download on TeachersPayTeachers.
Do your students need math practice? Students will be playing a game and will often forget that they are even practicing math skills! Research shows that challenge-based gamification in the classroom leads to an increase of 34.755% in student performance (ScienceDirect, 2020).
The best part? Your students will quickly learn the instructions to play the board game and will get right to work on playing (and practicing) their math skills. This resource is easy to use and requires very little prep. It’s also printer friendly so you’ll only use black ink!
Supports Common Core Standard:
2.OA.C.3 Determine whether a group of objects (up to 20) has an odd or even number of members, e.g., by pairing objects or counting them by 2s; write an equation to express an even number as a sum of two equal addends.
Teachers Like You Say:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “Very easy to use and I truly believe students learn best through game play.” -Tony
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “My students love playing games and a simple, easy prep game like this is a great addition to math centers, early finisher activities, and review days.” -Nicole
Want to save money on future purchases?
Go to your My Purchases page (log in first). Click on the Provide Feedback button to leave a rating and a short comment. You’ll earn TPT credits, which you can redeem on future purchases!
You may also like…
Having difficulty with a file?
Visit the FAQs section, submit a help ticket, or ask a question on the Q&A tab before leaving feedback.
Copyright © Chloe Campbell
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.
There are no reviews yet.