Struggle finding a way to keep students engaged during your fraction lessons?Practice adding and subtracting fractions with like and unlike denominators with these two engaging math board games! Students will forget they are practicing math as they play these fun math games. You can incorporate these math games in your small group stations, whole group activities, or send home to incorporate the whole family! You will need to provide a dice (or spinner) and a set of game pieces.
In this download, you’ll find two board games:
- Add and Subtract Fractions with Like Denominators
- Add and Subtract Fractions with Unlike Denominators
Each game includes directions for students, 41 fraction practice problems, recording sheets (5 different options), and answer keys. Math board games are perfect to use for small group stations, partner practice, or whole group review.
The following items are included in this fraction game bundle:
• Directions Page for Students
• 2 Board Games
• Answer Keys for each Board Game
• Recording Sheet for Student Accountability
What’s the best way to use this board game?
- Math Centers or Stations
- Whole Group Practice
- Morning Work
- Early Finisher Activities
- Send home to engage students’ families
Tips for Playing this Math Game:
- Read the directions to the students and model how to play.
- Be prepared with dice/spinner and game pieces for each player (paperclips, pencil top erasers, pieces from another game, etc.)
- Every student should solve every problem – not just the person who rolls.
- Create groups of 2-4 students. The lower number of students means the more focused students are while playing.
- Remind students that the focus is not playing the game but that’s just an added bonus! The focus should be on practicing math skills.
- Show students how to compare and discuss answers. Did you both get the same answer? If students get different answers, ask them to solve the problem using a different strategy or help coach each other through the problem.
Do your students need math practice? Students will be playing a game and will often forget that they are even practicing math skills! Research shows that challenge-based gamification in the classroom leads to an increase of 34.755% in student performance (ScienceDirect, 2020).
The best part? Your students will quickly learn the instructions to play the board game and will get right to work on playing (and practicing) their math skills. This resource is easy to use and requires very little prep. It’s also printer friendly so you’ll only use black ink!
Teachers Like You Say This:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “This was a fun and engaging way to have student practice fractions. I grouped students into teams with varied skill level so that each team had a chance and allowed students to work together to solve the problems. Thanks for the fun resource!”
*This game is included in the 5th Grade Year Long Game Board BUNDLE!
Copyright © Chloe Campbell
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.
Questions or comments? Please email me at: email@example.com