You found the perfect math game for practicing adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators. Your 5th and 6th grade students will LOVE practicing or reviewing adding and subtracting fractions with this hands-on and engaging math board game. Use this as a math center, practice after a whole group lesson, small group math center, or a teacher table game! You can also use this math game as a spiral review throughout the year. A fun test prep activity, too!
★ This game is available in a year long bundle!
Your students will love completing these math board games while mastering the content standards along the way. This download has directions, a board game, 41 questions, and a student recording sheet to hold them accountable. View the preview above to see a detailed look at everything in this download.
Click here to preview exactly what’s included!
The following items are included in this Adding and Subtracting Fractions Game:
- Directions Page for Students
- Teacher Tips for how to use
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators Board Game
- Recording Sheet for Student Accountability
- Answer Key
What’s the best way to use this board game?
- Math Centers or Stations
- Whole Group Practice
- Morning Work
- Early Finisher Activities
- Send home to engage students’ families
Tips for Playing this Math Game:
- Read the directions to the students and model how to play.
- Be prepared with dice/spinner and game pieces for each player (paperclips, pencil top erasers, pieces from another game, etc.)
- Every student should solve every problem – not just the person who rolls.
- Create groups of 2-4 students. The lower number of students means the more focused students are while playing.
- Remind students that the focus is not playing the game but that’s just an added bonus! The focus should be on practicing math skills.
- Show students how to compare and discuss answers. Did you both get the same answer? If students get different answers, ask them to solve the problem using a different strategy or help coach each other through the problem.
Do your students need math practice? Students will be playing a game and will often forget that they are even practicing math skills! Research shows that challenge-based gamification in the classroom leads to an increase of 34.755% in student performance (ScienceDirect, 2020).
The best part? Your students will quickly learn the instructions to play the board game and will get right to work on playing (and practicing) their math skills. This resource is easy to use and requires very little prep. It’s also printer friendly so you’ll only use black ink!
5.NF.A.1 Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum or difference of fractions with like denominators. For example, 2/3 + 5/4 = 8/12 + 15/12 = 23/12. (In general, / + / = ( + )/.)
★ Printer Friendly Resource! All pages are in black ink ONLY. If you are looking to add color, feel free to print on colorful cardstock.
Teachers Like You Say This:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “Very easy to use and I truly believe students learn best through game play.” -Tony
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “My students love playing games and a simple, easy prep game like this is a great addition to math centers, early finisher activities, and review days.” -Nicole
Click here to purchase the download on TeachersPayTeachers.
Copyright © Chloe Campbell
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.
Questions or comments? Please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no reviews yet.