Get your students practicing measurement conversions with this differentiated math around the room activity! Students will love practicing metric unit measurement conversions while solving these math problems. This is a low prep activity and will be loved by both students and teachers. You’ll print, cut out the shapes, and immediately fall in love with practicing converting metric unit measurements. With three sets of leveled problems, this measurement conversion activity will help all of your students make progress.
Each topic includes three leveled sets of questions: below level, on level, and above level problems. They also include two recording sheet options: one to show work and write the answer OR write your answer then write a word problem to match it.
⭐Grab this resource as part of the ! ⭐
Metric Unit Measurement Conversions Around the Room Activity Includes:
- 6 high level measurement conversions problems
- 6 medium level measurement conversions problems
- 6 low level measurement conversions problems
- 2 options for Math Around the Room student recording sheets
- Answer Key for all problems
Here’s what other teachers have to say about these math review stations…
⭐ “Great resource to use in small groups. I laminate them and the kids moved around the room to different activities.”
⭐ “These worked fantastic as a centers activity. The kids loved rotating around and writing the answers on note cards and felt really excited when I shared which shapes were the hardest; they really had their confidence built up!”
⭐ “I love the differentiation! So did my students! Thank you!”
How to Use:
1. Cut out the 6 levels of shapes.
2. Hang around the room.
3. Assign each student a shape to solve.
4. Students walk around the room and solve the problems on their shape. They will write the answers on the recording sheet.
5. If they finish early, they can pick another shape to solve.
What’s the best way to implement these differentiated math problems?
- Math Centers or Stations
- Around the Room Scavenger Hunt
- Teacher Table Practice
- Whole Group Practice
- Morning Work
- Early Finisher Activities (grab a shape and solve)
- Send home to engage students’ families
5.MD.A.1 Convert among different-sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system (e.g., convert 5 cm to 0.05 m), and use these conversions in solving multi-step, real world problems.
Tips for Using these Leveled Math Activities:
- Before using this resource, you’ll need to identify which students will be assigned to each shape. I suggest giving an exit slip the day before that assesses their level of understanding. if they need enrichment, assign them the above-level problems. If they are right on grade level, assign them the on-level problems. If the student is struggling and needs easier problems, assign them the below-level problems. You can either display the who is in each shape group on the whiteboard, draw the shape in the corner of the student notebook/paper, or just verbally tell student what shape to solve.
- If you have early finishers, tell them to solve a different set of shapes, which is why I recommend printing the recording sheets and making them double sided.
- Do not tell the students what level of problems they are working on.
- There are two recording sheets for each set of questions. The first one is recommended for all levels and asks students to show their work and write the answer. The second recording sheet offers a place for students to create their own word problem that matches the math problem on the shape. This is the best for your highest level learners.
- Show students how to compare and discuss answers. Did you both get the same answer? If students get different answers, ask them to solve the problem using a different strategy or help coach each other through the problem.
The best part? Your students will quickly learn the instructions to solve the differentiated problems and will get right to work on practicing their math skills. This resource is easy to use and requires very little prep. It’s also printer friendly so you’ll only use black ink!
Earn Free TpT Credits!
Leave feedback on your purchases to earn free TpT Credits that can be used on future purchases. Just visit My Purchases and click on Provide Feedback to leave review and earn TpT credits.
You may also like…
Having difficulty with a file?
Copyright © Chloe Campbell
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.
Questions or comments? Please email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org